Allred Statement on Cruz Dodging Questions on Cox v. Texas
Dallas, TX — Today, Congressman Colin Allred released the following statement on Ted Cruz’s refusal to answer questions on his own constituent being forced to flee Texas to receive emergency abortion care:
“After fighting for years to enact our state’s extreme abortion ban, Ted Cruz refuses to take any accountability for the tragic situations he has put Texas women in.
“Texas women can’t afford six more years of Ted Cruz. In 2024, we will hold him accountable for his dangerous extremism and ensure women can get the reproductive care they need here at home, without fear of criminalization.”
Colin Allred has long championed protecting women’s rights to make their own medical decisions:
- In 2021, he helped the House pass the Women’s Health Protection Act, which, if enacted, would codify Roe v. Wade – and has pledged to do the same once elected to the Senate.
- Allred also co-sponsored Congresswoman Lizzie Fletcher’s legislation to protect women’s constitutional right to interstate travel without government interference.
Ted Cruz is among the most extreme members of the Senate on taking away a woman’s right to choose:
- Cruz has fought for years to overturn Roe v. Wade, and called Dobbs a “massive victory.”
- Cruz explicitly supports an abortion ban with no exceptions.
- Ted Cruz has been one of Ken Paxton’s highest-profile supporters, even recording a TV ad to help get him elected.
- Additionally, Cruz is the author of the extreme national abortion ban proposal, which would take the blueprint for Texas’ statewide ban and force it upon every woman in America – making it impossible for his own constituents to even flee Texas to get the reproductive care they need in another state.